Dear God, please send me somebody who’ll care!
I’m tired of running, I’m sick with despair.
My body is aching, it’s so racked with pain,
and dear God I pray, as I run in the rain.
That someone will love me and give me a home,
a warm cozy bed and a big juicy bone.
Pearl the Stray Dog
:: My first job out of high school was at an animal hospital. As a kennel attendant, one of my jobs was to hold the animal while the vet treated & examined him. This included euthanasia. I remember the first dog I held while being “put to sleep”. She was a beagle. I don’t remember if she had been sick or if they owners just didn’t want her anymore. I had no idea what the vet intended. I was called in to hold her while they injected her, not knowing it was a lethal one until they told me as the needle went into her vein.
I stroked her head hoping to comfort her. Her breathing became labored, she lost control of her bladder and she was gone. I was crying as I put her body in a bag and called the city sanitation that we had a “pickup”. The owners did not want her body. Until that day, I had wanted to be a veterinarian. I learned then that I wasn’t strong enough.
I don’t know who wrote the following. I found it on Craigslist and thought it was necessary to post it here. They speak the truth. I would like to give him or her and all the others that do this job my thanks. I also hope that one day they will have to look for another job because this one has become unnecessary…
A few years ago I learned that vaccinating my pets every 1-3 years was unnecessary. In fact, it is down right harmful. With the exception of the Rabies vaccine, I have stopped giving my pets booster shots.
I hope the reprint of this article will help you make an informed decision for your animal companions.
Use these tips to make Halloween less stressful for your pet.
Give candy to your Pet? BAD Human!
Never give chocolate, gums, mints, candies or baked goods to your pet. Instruct children not to share their treats with the family pet.
Chocolate is toxic to pets. If consumed it can cause vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, nervousness, increased heart rate, and in severe cases, seizures and death. If you suspect your pet has eaten chocolate consult your veterinarian. Really… it’s not good for your or your kids either.
I was on my way to work one morning when I saw a young dog down at the end of our driveway. She was a hound / beagle type dog. I thought she belonged to one of our neighbors so I kept going. In my rear view mirror I saw that she was following me, so of course I stopped to see if she would come to me.
She looked pretty scared. When I called her she ran into a culvert that goes underneath the road. After playing hide and seek for a few minutes she finally came out and approached me, allowing me to pick her up. We got into the truck and headed up to the house. I guess Charley has grown accustomed to having me show up with strays. He showed no surprise when I walked in with this young dog in my arms.
We were getting ready to go to work yesterday. The phone rang. It was Tracy, our neighbor. She called to tell us that our dog Pearl had just been hit by a car. She said it looked like the car had run over her foot (and no, he did not stop). There were broken bones. I told her we’d be right over to get her.